Internationally known author and speaker on Fierce Conversations and Fierce Leadership
When you think of fierce conversations, think of passion, integrity, authenticity, collaboration, and leadership.
Whether it's transforming a company into a great place to work, improving customer service, enhancing cross-boundary cooperation, developing current and emerging leaders, or simply igniting intelligent, productive dialog–success occurs one conversation at a time.
That's why Fierce Conversations are a way of conducting business, an attitude, and a way of life.
Best-selling author and visionary leadership development architect, Susan Scott, has enabled top executives worldwide to engage in vibrant dialogue with one another, with their employees and with their customers for two decades. A recognized thought leader in the global business community, Susan and her company, Fierce, Inc., are committed to large-scale and individual transformation through the principles set forth in Susan's book and her company's corporate training programs.
In 1999, Fierce Conversations, Inc. was founded by Susan Scott following 13 years leading CEO think tanks and teaching others around the world to do the same. During those years, Susan engaged in more than 10,000 hours of conversations with CEOs and senior executives, helping them address pressing issues, make high stakes decisions, solve costly problems, design winning strategies and evaluate opportunities.
In September, 2002, Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work & in Life — One Conversation at a Time was published in four countries and, shortly thereafter, was listed on the Wall Street Journal best seller list, and USA TODAY'S top 40 business books of 2002.
In September, 2009, Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today, was published with more of Susan’s methods for achieving better results and getting to the heart of what is holding organizations back.
Today, Fierce, Inc. helps Global 1000 companies generate significant results by transforming the conversations central to their success. Leaders and employees at all levels of an organization become skilled at engaging colleagues and customers in conversations that interrogate reality, provoke learning, tackle tough challenges and enrich relationships.
Speaking programs include:
In her new book, Fierce Leadership, and corresponding speaking programs, Susan Scott busts six of the worst "best" business practices and reveals a technique she calls "squid eye"—the ability to see the obvious, once we know what to look for and to spot the "tells" that we’re falling prey to disastrous behaviors before they cripple us and our organizations. Scott offers surprising alternatives that leaders and managers at every level can put into place. With new approaches to everything from employee feedback, to corporate diversity, to customer relations, Fierce Leadership provides audiences with an honest look at what might be holding them back—and what to do about it.
Fierce Conversations® provides you with a foundational approach to confront your most pressing issues by having authentic, courageous, and clear conversations.
If you want to improve your results, the leverage point is conversations. Because, for something we do every day, communication—specifically conversation—certainly poses its share of issues. It’s typically cited on employee surveys as the primary source of dissatisfaction.
Unfortunately, the end result of many conversations include the following:
- Confusion and/or lack of clarity; a struggle to achieve results, execute on strategies, make informed decisions.
- A culture where real meetings routinely occur outside the official meeting room, by the water cooler.
- Whether in meetings, performance evaluations or 1:1 conversations, the truth is not addressed and, therefore, key decisions and strategies are based on fantasy rather than reality.
- A lack of collaboration and alignment, especially when core to execution.
- An "us versus them," "me versus you" culture. Politics, turf wars, competition for resources and attention.
- Leaders micro-managing versus leading. No grass roots leadership development.
Make the connection between your conversations and your individual and collective success.
While some programs only address challenging confrontational conversations, Fierce Conversations prepares you to deal with confrontation and provides key principles, tools and models for other critical conversations – team meetings, coaching, and delegation – that are central to organizational success.
Our practical, actionable approach to effective communication and leadership is an excellent alternative – or enhancement – to legacy training focused on theory. You can expect a shift in thinking and behavior to:
- High levels of alignment, collaboration, and partnership at all levels throughout the organization.
- Focus on desired results and accountability.
- Relationships with customers and employees that extend beyond price and paycheck.
- Creating shared enthusiasm, clarity, and increased effectiveness.
- An open culture which identifies and addresses issues truthfully and effectively.Generating the best decisions for the organization.
- Engaging in effective, confrontational conversations that resolve tough issues, including attitude, performance, and behavior.
Fierce Accountability TM
Fierce Accountability® builds on the principles and practices of Fierce Conversations® and teaches leaders how to create a culture where people actively seek and demonstrate personal accountability, delivering agreed-upon results, despite obstacles.
Accountability is the single most powerful, most desired, yet least understood characteristic of a high performance culture. It's an attitude, a private, non-negotiable choice about how to live one's life. A choice that makes all the difference.
The problem is, "holding people accountable" generates tension, yet without accountability, time and energy is spent generating excuses about why something did or did not happen.
While it's human nature to blame other people or circumstances for our problems, individuals and organizations pay a high price for this behavior. Strategies adopted are half-hearted, safe, passive and diluted. Worse yet, sometimes the result is no action at all.
This workshop helps participants recognize the cost of blaming, protecting, defending and playing it safe. And the advantages of embracing accountability for the relationships and results central to their success.
- Increased productivity, execution effectiveness, and job enjoyment regardless of challenging constraints
- Effective responses by leaders to those who have a context of blame, protection or defense
- Skills to build a culture of accountability within a team or organization
Fierce Generations TM
Fierce Generations® builds on the foundations of Fierce Conversations® and teaches managers how to effectively motivate and manage a multigenerational workforce.
Managers frequently have difficulty motivating employees of different ages and at different stages of their careers. Understanding what each generation thinks, values, and desires is critical for a collaborative, successful work environment.
Equally important, long-term success requires the transfer of knowledge from one generation of leaders to the next. Organizations that fail to bridge these gaps will lose out as institutional intelligence is lost rather than transferred to the next generation of leaders.
This workshop helps attendees understand, value and capitalize on generational differences. They will learn how to create an atmosphere of inclusion and respect, which leverages the diversity of their workforce.
- Understand each generation's motivations and contributions in the workplace
- Communicate effectively with different generations
- Increase employee enthusiasm for achieving business outcomes
- Recruit and retain employees from all generations
- Develop high potentials from any generation
Travels From: Seattle, WA